Monday, October 8, 2012

Starting the Blog

10/8/12

Tom:  Patrica and I wanted to start sharing some of the adventures and information that we are learning as we retire and move to Belize.  Both of us will post from time to time.  I will probably talk mostly about legal, financial and building issues while Patricia will talk about living here and her garden.  The purpose is to capture what we are doing, how we are doing it and any suggestions or warnings for those following us.  I will attempt to be as specific as possible, giving names, costs and other information that others that plan on moving to Belize can use.

General background:   We have purchased a lot in Sanctuary Belize, just south of Hopkins and the Sittee River.  We purchased lot #98 on the canal about 2 1/2 years ago.  We went through the title work and paid for our lot when we started construction.  We drew up plans, selected a builder and have been under construction since July 2011.  We formed a Belizean corporation to own the lot with Patricia and me as the sole owners and directors of the corporation.  Last Dec. I received my QRP as did Patricia as my wife.  In August we shipped all our household goods and our Mitsubishi Endeavor to Belize and cleared customs in September.  After taking our daughter to university in Edinburgh, Scotland, we flew directly to Belize arriving on 9/11/12 to begin our full-time residency in Belize.

Over the next few weeks I will go into greater detail on each of the above events, explaining why we did certain things a certain way and making suggestions as to other ways to accomplish the same thing.  We will also start talking about what it is like to move to Belize, where do we shop and how much does it cost to live here.

I hope you enjoy this blog and find it informative and helpful.  If you have any pressing questions, feel free to contact me at Tom@Therskowitz.com.

2 comments: